Thursday, January 11, 2018

Iceland Is Far More Than Landscapes

The lure of Iceland is an inspiring desire for many around the world.

It first harnessed my attention as a kid growing up in Alaska. On the News was the evolving story of a new island, Surtsey, emerging from the ocean depths. Then again in 1973, Eldfell erupts on the island of Heimaey.

C'mon, HOW COOL IS THAT? Mother Earth creating new land masses.

Several years ago I was doing a story on Iceland. The fine people I met along that journey further strengthened my admiration for this tiny island sitting directly on top of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

I had visited the Skogar Folk Museum in South Iceland and interviewed & photographed the curator Thordor Tommasson. For those of you who have met him, you know, you'll never forget him. What a wonderful person.

For this portrait we were outside a tiny house on the grounds. Thordor was already a tiny fella. I laughed at the size of the doorway. I knew I'd hit my head all the time in that entrance!

Iceland is far more than landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment